‘Creature’ delivers more laughs than scares

This ‘Horror’ film was anything but frightening. If you were looking for a scary movie, you would probably have more luck watching a movie from the Scary Movie franchise. It’s surprising that a film studio even bought this extremely low-budget film.

Creature follows a group of friends on a road trip to New Orleans who decide to take a shortcut through Louisiana’s bayou country. While at a convenience store in the middle of nowhere, the clerks inform the group of a legend about a man-turned-alligator creature that now dwells in the swamps.

Of course, the group thinks the store clerks are full of it, so they investigate for themselves. And, as expected, their trip is disturbed when the creatures finds them in the midst of their midnight toke and booze session in the woods. Horror films don’t get much more predictable than this.

The incest between a brother and sister is never explained, nor why the store clerk beats his son and rapes his daughter —who are the incestuous brother and sister.

The film appears to be so low budget that the props seem to be right out of a House of Humor store, and the sound effects from iMovie. The absence of fear is so strong that viewers almost can’t help but laugh at the film’s series of events. The actors don’t appear to have too much acting experience, either, which is likely another cause of the roaring laughs the audience was projecting.