Spring 2012 Fashion Week underway in New York

Through the shadow of the 9/11 anniversary, the lights along Lincoln Center in New York City are shining on a flourish of designers, models and Hollywood’s elite as New York Fashion Week sets the stage for next season’s trends. From buttercup-printed ball gowns at Oscar de la Renta to Indian-influenced pieces at Thakoon, next spring is already looking bright.

Oscar de la Renta:

This show opened with bright ball gowns paired with lace tops and worked its way into sleek and structured dresses in white lace. Tailored pieces in yellow, blue, neutrals and red hit the runway to offer looks worthy of both elite corporate offices and cocktail parties. The collection went back in time with flirty flapper-inspired dresses, and closed with fairytale-like ball gowns in cobalt blue and buttercup prints.

Diane Von Furstenberg:

This Belgian native waxed patriotic at the end of her show by distributing American flags to attendees, but fanfare was preceded by a bubbly collection of voluminous dresses with African-influenced prints.

Marc  By Marc Jacobs:

True to form, this line kept a simple aesthetic that matched geometric shapes with clean lines.  With soft jade greens, blues and reds, this collection boldly takes on the vibrant colors of spring, while keeping structure minimal. Also presented were looks with bold, yet simple, graphics to add a lightness to the cleanness of other pieces shown.

Vera Wang:

This show opened with crisp looks in a refreshing sheer white. Mini-dresses and shorts with peplum hemlines first took the stage, as colorful graphic fabrics quietly snuck into the collection. Ornately folded minis were next on the scene in yellow, gray and pink; the show ended in gowns in a vibrant cobalt blue.

For more, visit The Cut blog on New York Magazine.