Holland expected to ban the burqa

Holland is to be the third European country to ban the burqa. Following France and Belgium, Holland plans to introduce fines for women wearing burqas in public, on streets, while using public transportation, in schools and in hospitals.

Proponents of such legislation argue that cloth, such as the burqa, that completely or almost entirely cover the face do not fit in public life in a society where people are recognized by their faces, and that the wearing of such cloths goes against principles of equality between men and women. Descriptions of the burqa as imprisonment “behind a mesh,” as French president Nicolas Sarkozy, put it; reflect attitudes of many non-Muslims toward the burqa.

The anti-Muslim undertones of such measures are apparent. However, only a very small proportion of the women living in the Netherlands cover their faces with burquas. Islamic headscarves are an increasingly common sight in public, and are not necessarily targeted by the proposed ban.

The Dutch Equality Commission had previous ruled such a ban was discriminatory.  A Haarlem magistrate, however, soon ruled otherwise, and this decision is now confirmed by The Amsterdam Court.

Certain proponents of free speech believe the banning of the burqa constitutes a form of censorship. They argue those of certain religious beliefs will be not allowed to practice their religion by their dress.

However, those in support of the ban state that the burqa stands in the way of Muslim assimilation into Dutch society. The covering of the face itself is a debatable issue, which many argue is based on no Quranic requirement. Proponents of this view argue that the burqa is a cultural tradition, not a religious one.

Still, many maintain that the attack on the burqa is an attack on Muslim fundamentalism. While the burqa itself in Holland might not be an especially prominent item, nor will the ban necessarily directly affect many people, the principles of taking clear action against it clearly show hostility toward some Muslims.

The burqa will not be banned everywhere. In religious buildings and in certain transit lounges and airports, burqas will be permitted. This way, certain travelers can be exempted from the ban.