Barkley named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week

Following a record tying performance against Syracuse, USC quarterback Matt Barkley was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week. Barkley threw five touchdown passes to lead the Trojans to a 38-17 victory over the Orange.

Barkley’s performance Saturday is the third time in his career at USC in which he tied the passing record of five touchdowns. He had previously done so last year against Hawaii and California in his second season as the team’s starting quarterback. Barkley shares the prestigious record along side former Trojans Rodney Peete, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez.

Against Syracuse, Barkley completed 67 percent of his passes. Thus, completing 26-of-39 passes for 324 yards. With his accomplishment, Barkley has moved into fifth place for career total offense at USC with 6,376 yards. Over the course of his last 27 games, he has thrown at least one touchdown 23 times. This season, Barkley is 80-of-116 for 892 yards, nine touchdowns and one interception.

Barkley is joined by two other standout players from the Pac-12. Utah defensive end Trevor Reilly and California kick returner Brendan Bigelow have also been named to the Bank of the West Pac-12 Players of the Week.