Classic restaurant still has bite

Philippe the Original is a landmark Los Angeles restaurants every USC student should try at least once. Claiming to be the birth place of the original “French Dipped Sandwich,” Philippe’s serves a delicious variety of dishes besides its famous French Dipped Sandwich, including a home-made mustard.

Philippe’s is not a typical restaurant, largely due to its unique service. Upon entering, customers are shuffled into 10 different lines in front of a long display counter with 10 servers known as “Carvers.” Each Carver will take your order, make your sandwich, ladle your soup, fill your drinks and collect your money.

The restaurant has an old-fashioned feel, with long wooden tables and booths. There are ceiling fans, neon soft drink and beer signs, and even sawdust on the floor for authenticity. On the walls is a plethora of posters, press clippings and pictures collected since 1908 — when Philippe’s opened. The design of the restaurant has not changed much since then and it continues to uphold the idea that “you can make yourself at home” in this restaurant.

The French dipped sandwich is the top choice for customers; they can choose between roast beef, roast pork, leg of lamb, turkey or ham. The meat is served on a fresh, lightly textured French roll dipped in “natural gravy of the roasts.”

There are side dishes to accompany your sandwich, including cole slaw, homemade potato and macaroni salads, pickles, black olives and hot yellow chili peppers. For dessert, there is a selection of scrumptious, freshly baked pies to choose from.

I give Philippe’s an eight out of 10 for its authenticity, unique atmosphere and delicious French dipped sandwiches.

Philippe the Original

1001 N. Alameda St.

Los Angeles, CA 90012

(213) 628-3781

Hours: 6 a.m.-10p.m. daily