Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Guns N’ Roses, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, the Cure and Heart were among the first-time nominees announced Tuesday for potential induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as the class of 2012.

Other new nominees include rap duo Eric B. & Rakim, blues guitarist and singer Freddie King, British rock group the Small Faces, R&B band the Spinners and funk group Rufus, which launched the career of lead singer Chaka Khan.

The list of potential inductees also features acts who have been previously eligible, such as rock group Red Hot Chili Peppers, rap trio the Beastie Boys, singer-songwriter Laura Nyro, singer-songwriter Donovan, R&B group War and disco diva Donna Summer.

The 15 nominees are expected to be whittled down to the new class of 2012 this December, before they are inducted into the Hall of Fame in New York during a ceremony in March 2010.

At least 25 years must pass from an act’s debut recording before they are eligible to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

The ceremony could serve as a stage for a dramatic reunion for Guns N’ Roses, which currently only is comprised of founding member Axl Rose. Former members, such as famed guitarist Slash, might decide to reunite with Rose for one night if they are inducted into rock ‘n’ roll’s most prestigious club.