For McCartney, third time’s a charm with understated wedding

Sir Paul McCartney, 69, walked down the aisle a third time this Sunday, marrying his fiancé Nancy Shevell, 51, on the day former bandmate John Lennon would have turned 71.

The two became man and wife at London’s Westminster registry office at the old Marylebone Town Hall, the site where he married his first wife Linda Eastman in 1969. There were only 30 guests, including fellow Beatle Ringo Starr, Shevell’s cousin Barbara Walters and McCartney’s four children. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, other guests included 60s supermodel Twiggy, hair guru John Frieda and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.

Nancy Shevell wore a simple white dress created by her fashion designer and new daughter-in-law Stella. McCartney’s younger brother Mike acted as best man, as McCartney’s seven year old daughter Beatrice acted as bridesmaid.

The reception, held at McCartney’s home in St. John’s Wood, hosted 100 guests to a vegetarian dinner and even a special performance by the Beatles legend himself. McCartney composed a song specially for his third wife and performed it at the reception, in addition to Shevell’s favorite tunes “Let it Be” and “Let me Roll It.” The guests dined on salmon and truffle risotto and $170-a-bottle organic champagne, The Sun reported.

Paul McCartney’s first wife Linda was 56 when she died of breast cancer in 1998. His second marriage to model Heather Mills ended with a bitter divorce in 2008. This is Shevell’s second marriage. The couple became engaged when the Beatle proposed in May after four years together. The newlyweds plan to live in London.