Cause of Amy Winehouse’s death confirmed

Three months after the British singer’s inconclusive passing, the official cause of Amy Winehouse’s death has finally been confirmed — “death by misadventure,” or accidental alcohol poisoning.

Tests run by pathologist Suhail Baithun and coroner Suzanne Greenway found excessive amounts of alcohol in the 27-year-old singer’s system, more than five times the legal driving limit. Additionally, the coroner discovered the drug Librium, a sedative used to lessen alcohol withdrawal symptoms, in her system, but said that it did not play a part in her death.

The numbers were revealed at the inquest hearing today at St. Pancras Coroners Court in north London.

On the night of her death at her Camden home, personal security guard Andrew Morris, last talked to the singer around 2 a.m., returning to check on a “sleeping” Amy just eight hours later. Morris became suspicious when he noticed that the Grammy award-winning artist had not moved when he checked on her again at 3 p.m. and called the police when he found she was not breathing and had no pulse.

After searching her room, authorities discovered three empty bottles of vodka — two full-sized and one smaller one.

Winehouse’s regular doctor, Christina Romete had seen her at 7 p.m. the previous day, describing her as tipsy but coherent enough to hold a conversation. Romete said that the singer had abstained from drinking alcohol for a period of three weeks and had just resumed drinking the day before her death.

Although Amy’s parents continue to grieve the loss of their daughter, family spokesman, Chris Goodman, says that they are relieved “to finally find out what happened to Amy” and are involved in a number of projects surrounding her death.

Last month, the Winehouse family founded the Amy Winehouse Foundation in an effort to raise money for individuals dealing with addiction, health, poverty and disability.

According to Goodman, the ruling “underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us to help as many young people and children we can in her name.”

Mitch Winehouse, Amy’s father, is preparing to write and release “Amy: My Daughter,” a memoir in which he will let the public in on the Amy he knew and loved.