Behind enemy lines: Colorado

Following a heartbreaking triple-overtime loss to Stanford, USC will try and rebound in the Rockies as it takes on a dismal Colorado squad. The Buffaloes (1-8, 0-5 PAC-12) have struggled mightily in their first season in the PAC 12. They will continue their search for their first conference victory when they take on the the Trojans (6-2, 3-2 PAC-12) on Friday night.

The main reason for Colorado’s lack of success has been its defense. The Buffs rank 100th nationally in total defense, allowing 434 yards per game. To make matters worse, opponents have posted 45 touchdowns against Colorado, the 3rd highest total in the country.

The Buffaloes’ pass defense has been a particular area of concern for first year head coach Jon Embree. On average, his secondary forfeits 249 yards through the air per game, the 92nd best total in the country. The 22 pass touchdowns that Colorado has allowed are the 2nd highest total in the nation.

With the level that Matt Barkley is playing at right now, the Buffalo defensive backs could be in for a long night. Look for the USC passing game to thrive in Boulder, just as it has all season long. Colorado’s secondary will be put through the ringer yet again, and the Buffs first PAC-12 win will again likely be put on hold.