Paterno faces fallout from Penn State scandal

Legendary coach Joe Paterno might be fired in the coming weeks, according to The New York Times. This is the latest news in the Penn State scandal that unfolded this weekend over the alleged sexual assault of boys by former defensive coach Jerry Sandusky.

Sandusky is accused of sexually assaulting, on university grounds, young boys whom he cared for as part of his Second Mile mentoring program. Though Paterno has been cleared of any legal wrongdoing, many have expressed outrage at what they perceive as a failing on the head coach’s part to address what he knew about Sandusky.

The Times spoke to two top university sources briefed on discussions between the university’s board of trustees, who say officials have begun to plan Paterno’s exit. Paterno’s press conference Tuesday was canceled an hour before it was scheduled.

“”We’re always going to be Penn State,” Paterno said when greeted by people outside his house. “I’m proud of you. I’ve always been proud of you. Beat Nebraska.”

In 2002, a graduate assistant coach said he witnessed Sandusky in the team’s showers sexually assaulting a boy, who is described as aged 11 to 13. The assistant told Paterno what he saw, and the coach reported the incident to Athletic Director Tim Curley

From there, law officials charging Curley and other administrative official Gary Schultz say neither official alerted police — as they are required to do under state mandatory reporting laws.

Both Curley and Schultz are facing charges of perjury and failing to alert authorities about the event.

In total, there are eight boys who have come forward alleging that Sandusky sexually assaulted them over his 15 years at Penn State. Sandusky has continued to maintain his innocence.