Students get an education in “Financial Swagger”

“Banks prey on students just like us.”

That’s what Gabe Albarian, a graduate student at the USC Marshall School of Business and author of Financial Swagger, is trying to tell students. On Nov. 8 at 7:00 p.m., Albarian gave a presentation that spelled out how undergraduates should take care of their financial education and learning while avoiding debt and credit card fees.

“My inspiration, in a nutshell, are the same mistakes I made as an undergraduate,” Albarian said. “It’s my trials and tribulations with financial education, and we had [to] commit our own mistakes.”

Financial Swagger, which was completed in July, goes through basic aspects of finance in order to introduce students to “practical personal finance,” according to Albarian. The book is intended for ages 18 to 30, and topics include basic banking, credit scores, credit history report, student loans, basic investing tips and jobs.

“Most of the popular speakers focus on people who are already in debt,” Albarian said. “I want for students to avoid debt at all.”

The lecture was put on by the Academic Culture Assembly (ACA) and also included a talk by speaker Gina Rudan, author of Practical Genius and president of Geniune Insights Inc. Called Practical Swagger, it was co-hosted by the Program Board’s Speaker’s Committee.

“We want students to be financially sound while successful,” Juan Espinoza, the Speakers director and a senior majoring in communications and international relations, said. “It’s about the small details of finance and innovative ideas.”