New Rebecca Black single heightens dubious fame

No matter how hard the world tries to forget her, it always seems to go back to Black. Like a bad horror movie sequel, Rebecca Black is at it again with a new song and another shot at fame.

First, “Friday” blew up this past spring. With the obnoxious lyrics and unforgettable tune, Black sure made an impression on not only the Internet community, but most news sources and eventually the population at large.

She had stints on Good Morning America, performances and interviews all over broadcast television. She popped up on Katy Perry’s California Dreams Tour to sing her hit with Perry and 10,000 screaming fans

Then, everything seemed to calm down, until the fateful day that she released “My Moment” as her follow-up single to “Friday.” The worst part about the song: people actually gave it credit. It was praised as an improvement to “Friday,” being more radio-friendly and mature. The bottom line, however, is that the song is just as poorly produced as its predecessor. It was released along with a music video and extended her 15 minutes of fame.

So, Rebecca Black has become a household name. Katy Perry put her on a pedestal with current Glee stars and ’80s icons in her “Last Friday Night” music video. She’s more than just a YouTube star now; she has industry experience and commercial viability.

As if to solidify this, Black’s camp has released another song, “P.O.I. (Person of Interest).” The song itself lacks any emotion whatsoever and features equally uninspired crimescene-esque lyrics like “there’s a chalk line on the dance floor / in the shape of my heart.” It is actually quite painful to listen to the whole song play out — more so when you watch the 14-year-old singer struggle on the camera in the music video with her equally as awkward co-stars.

Just like “My Moment,” the issue with “P.O.I” is that people are applauding it. One of the most influential music industry publication, Billboard, calls the song “criminally fun” and even likens the tune to Cascada’s “Evacuate the Dancefloor.”  The more exposure Black gets, the more people seem to warm up to her story, her efforts and her seemingly effervescent personality.

The message here is that Black is going to keep on pumping out songs until she’s out of cash and a fanbase. But by the look of her website she’s in it to win it, merch store and all.