Practice notes: Wednesday

· Various players were in yellow-no-contact jerseys, including redshirt freshmen linebackers Dion Bailey and Hayes Pullard, as well as senior tailback Marc Tyler. Sophomore wide receiver Robert Woods participated briefly but did not practice the rest of the day, putting his availability for Saturday in jeopardy.

· The defense placed an emphasis on conditioning today to prepare for the hurry up offense Oregon runs.

· The receivers worked with their position coach, Ted Gilmore, focusing on their release from routes.

· During the first set of 11-on-11, the defense had the upper hand, stuffing a couple of runs and deflecting a few passes to keep the offense in check.

· Oregon’s fight song and other noise was piped in to simulate the environment at Autzen Stadium.

“I don’t know how ready you can get to play in that place,” said defensive coordinator Ed Orgeron. “It’s a tough place to play. It reminds me of an SEC crowd.”

Furthermore, Orgeron noted that the defense has been very motivated on its own for the big showdown.

· The backs had their work too, as junior tailback Curtis McNeal cut up the defense on a runs. He ranks near the top of the Pac-12 in yards per carry.

· The play of the day came during situational 11-on-11 drills, where senior linebacker Shane Horton dove for a deflected pass and intercepted Barkley.