Smartphones help users maintain 2012 resolutions

Whatever your New Year’s resolutions are this year, a handful are likely to be the same as last year. Resolutions are notoriously difficult to maintain, and you might even be guilty of forgetting about them a few weeks into the year.

That’s where mobile technology steps in.  The emergence of smartphones and tablets has spawned a wave of innovative and user friendly apps perfect for tackling those pesky goals. From helping users chase that ever-elusive six-pack to scoring A’s in their classes, here are some of the best and highest-rated apps to give a head start on your resolutions for 2012.

Fitness guru · The Nike Training Club application allows users to follow a scheduled fitness regimen to get the best possible workout. - Photo Illustratsion by Eddie Kim | Daily Trojan

Losing Weight

RoadRunnerGPS (Blackberry), $2.99

These fitness management applications serve as the perfect companion if you dislike the gym and prefer an outdoor workout. This app tracks exercise routines in real time and gives feedback on  progress through its innovative GPS feature. A built-in mapping screen allows you to view your position, time and distance traveled, while the app tracks other data, such as your average speed, pace and calories burned.

Nike Training Club (iPhone, iPad, iPod), Free

This impressive app serves as a virtual personal trainer, with more than 90 customized workouts focusing on everything from abs to cardio. The program also comes with unlocked routines taught by celebrities, such as Glee actress Lea Michele, and fitness gurus, such as Rihanna’s own personal trainer, Ary Nuñez. Best of all, the app is free.

Spend More Wisely

Mint.com Personal Finance (iPhone, iPad, Android), Free

Should you grab another Subway sandwich tonight, or can you afford to take that cute girl in Writing 140 out on a date? This personal finance app created by the money-tracking website Mint.com makes it easy to keep a close eye on your money with its beautiful graphics and user-friendly navigation. Mint syncs all banking and credit accounts in one place and informs you of where you spend your money in real-time, so you know exactly how much money you’re spending and what you’re spending it on.

PageOnce (iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android), Free

This ultra-convenient app is perfect for gaining control over your finances. Not only does this app allow you to view your money and bills in one place, but it lets you pay your bills directly and receive reminders and notifications about important payments. Another bonus is the ability to track your mobile minutes, text and data usage, which will help you avoid annoying fees.

Get Better Grades

iStudiez Pro (iPhone and iPad), $2.99

If there’s one app that can help whip students into academic shape, it’s iStudiez Pro. This incredibly comprehensive and aesthetically impressive app from Apple allows you to track daily events, manage your course details, sort your assignments by date and priority, track and calculate your grades and create and follow an interactive, customized calendar. Though the app can’t force you to study, you’re unlikely miss a lecture or get late points deducted from an essay again.

Wunderlist (iPhone, iPad, Android), Free

Regardless of your major, group projects are guaranteed during your time in college. Wunderlist is one of the best task management apps to ace your projects and to delegate your work like a pro, as it allows you to easily create to-do lists, share these lists with friends and sync your tasks back and forth between a laptop and phone. The interface is particularly impressive on an iPad but works just as well on Android platforms.

Spice Up Your Romantic Life

Romance Planner (Android), $0.99

If the idea of planning a romantic date makes you sweat, this app should be next on your download list. Romance Planner allows you to classify and to execute all kinds of romantic ideas, with categories ranging from “nature” to “intimate.” Who knows: It might inspire you to try something you’ve never thought of before, and it just might impress that special someone in your life.

YP Yellow Pages (iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android), Free

So that you don’t embarrass yourself by taking your date to Chipotle, this app provides a wealth of dining options with detailed information at your fingertips. Search for the perfect restaurant based on location, price range, cuisine, ambiance and ratings. You can even find discounts and coupons that you can either redeem directly from your phone.