Women of Troy swept by Bay Area schools

After impressive performances against the University of Wisconsin last weekend, the Women of Troy were swept by top-ranked California and eighth-ranked Stanford in two very close meets over the weekend at McDonald’s Stadium.

These were the first two losses for USC this season, and for the seniors, the meets were the last ones at home in their careers.

Staying afloat · While the Women of Troy lost their weekend meets to California and Stanford, they still sit in a position to win the Pac-12 conference. They will face UCLA in two weeks in Westwood. - Anna Wierzbowska | Daily Trojan

Against the Bears, senior Katinka Hosszu won the 200-yard backstroke, the 400-yard individual medley and was part of the winning 200-yard medley relay team, while senior diver Victoria Ishimatsu won the three-meter and one-meter diving events. It was not enough, however, to overcome the Bear’s combination of Caitlin Leverenz and Sara Isakovic, and the Women of Troy fell by a final score of 138-162.

While they lost the meet, USC had several individual winners. Besides Hosszu and Ishimatsu, Haley Anderson (1000-yard freestyle, 500-yard freestyle), and sophomore Kasey Carlson (100-yard breaststroke) won their competitions.

“Hosszu and Anderson were on top of their game,” head coach Dave Salo said, despite the close weekend losses.

There was no rest for the Women of Troy, as they faced Stanford the next day, who beat them by a final score of 160.5-139.5.

While Anderson (1000-yard freestyle), Hosszu (200-yard freestyle, 200-yard IM), Carlson (100-yard breaststroke), and senior Tanya Krisman (200-yard butterfly) were winners, the Cardinal could not be stopped and were led by Samantha Woodward and Maya Dirado.

The 400-yard freestyle relay was the difference betwen victory and defeat for the Women of Troy, as they lost by nearly five seconds to Stanford’s squad.

“Both meets were great in challenging our women,” Salo said. “[These losses] can only make us better for the Pac-12 championships and the NCAA championships.”

The Women of Troy will take on UCLA on Feb. 11 on the road. After that, USC will participate in the Pac-12 championships in late February  and in the NCAA championships in March.