Dedmon becomes latest loss for Trojans’ season

The injuries keep mounting for the 6-16 USC men’s basketball team. They will be without power forward Dewayne Dedmon for the rest of the season. The 7-foot-tall redshirt sophomore suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee and a bone bruise in the 74-50 loss to Colorado Thursday night.

Dedmon, who hails from Lancaster, Calif., has seen his share of injuries in his brief tenure.

He will miss the last 10 games of the season and the Pac-12 conference tournament. Although no surgery is needed, coach Kevin O’Neill and the training staff deemed him incapable of play.

“Obviously, it is another huge blow for us as we move forward,” O’Neill said in a press release.

Dedmon is now the fifth Trojan player that suffered a season ending injury. He joins his fellow teammates, senior guard Jio Fontan, sophomore forward Curtis Washington, redshirt junior forward Aaron Fuller and redshirt sophomore forward Evan Smith.

The Trojans are now down to six players on scholarships who are a part of the active roster.

Dedmon averaged 7.6 points and 5.5 rebounds despite a hand and foot injury he suffered earlier in the season. Dedmon’s resilience brought attention from NBA scouts and, when healthy again, should bring it back again.