Matt Kalil prepares for NFL combine

Former USC left tackle Matt Kalil gears up for the 2012 NFL draft amid rumors of a top-10 draft pick. Kalil, who elected to leave USC a year early in favor of a career in the NFL, begins training at the scouting combine today with roughly 320 other professional potentials.

He follows in the footsteps of his older brother Ryan Kalil, who now plays center for the Carolina Panthers. Kalil is no stranger to following in his brother’s footsteps, as both played football at Servite High School and at USC.

“Obviously, I’ve still got to perform and be a good player, but, it’s been a lot easier going to college and going to the combine like I am right now, and having someone who’s already done everything. Not a lot of people have that,” Kalil told the Los Angeles Times.

The combine will run from today to next Tuesday, and provide an opportunity for hundreds of NFL scouts, executives, and coaches to take a look at the latest crop of professional hopefuls. The Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, home to this year’s Super Bowl, will host the combine.

Kalil will stand under the shadow of quarterbacks Andrew Luck (Stanford) and Heisman winner Robert Griffin III (Baylor), but this does not diminish his chances of being a top-10 pick. He and Riley Reiff (Iowa) are slated as the top tackles at the combine.