Five deserving 2011 films that shouldn’t be forgotten

With the Oscars over, the 2011 film year draws to a close. Of course, there are plenty of awesome films that never make the Oscars. Some films are too weird, some too funny and others too satiric, but none should be forgotten. Here are a few redheaded stepchildren of 2011.

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil

Though a horror satire, Tucker and Dale stands out among titles like Zombieland and the Scary Movie franchise.  The story takes off from the Deliverance vein – creepy hillbillies in an isolated forest. They encounter a group of frisky college students. In this story, however, the hillbillies are the misunderstood heroes. The writing is a fantastic mix of gory comedy and witty snark. Furthermore, the characters are well-drawn and entertaining for more than just their death scenes. Even if the one involving a beehive is a real knee-slapper.

Attack the Block

When aliens attack London, it’s up to a band of juvenile delinquents to protect their homes. Though Attack the Block has a humorous edge, it’s not a pure horror comedy. The main characters – a group of misfits scoundrels – begin the story as disgusting muggers. The film, however, turns them into compelling protagonists. The film looks way better than its paltry budget has any right to, and the writing feels very fresh.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

This film doesn’t need any help, but it’s good enough to recommend again. Regardless if one thinks Tom Cruise is a dork, this Mission Impossible outshines the previous installment in every way except for the villain. The action feels crisp and unique and the pace never flounders. Much kudos is owed to Brad Bird, in his first live-action directorial debut.

Martha Marcy May Marlene

Unless the lighthearted (if gory) romps of the previous recommendations, there is nothing fluffy about Martha Marcy May Marlene.  It’s viciously disturbing and uncomfortable to watch. But like a performance of Titus Andronicus or ‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore, it’s equally compelling. A woman tries to resume a normal life after escaping an abusive cult, but her paranoia and trauma wreak havoc on her family. Meanwhile, flashbacks reveal the extent of the cult. Don’t pick it as a date movie, but check it out otherwise.

Jane Eyre

The classic Bronte novel has graced the screen many times but this adaptation is something special. It takes all the creepy undertones of the story – a mousy young woman working in the household of a domineering older man with a dark secret – and parades them onscreen for everyone to see. It’s dark, taut, and sexy without the overtness of other screen versions, but doesn’t slide into a dull play-by-play of the story. Neither does it warp into a bodice-ripper, even though the talent, tension, and chemistry of the cast makes you sometimes wish it would.