Haute Highlights

View Haute Highlights 03-08 in a larger map

Casey Veggies

Saturday, March 10, 7:30 p.m.

Roxy Theatre

Though there are plenty of talented young hip-hop artists around, Casey Veggies is one to keep an eye on.

Originally a member of the now-notorious Odd Future rap collective, the 18-year-old rapper decided to stick to his academic studies and parted ways with the group.

Now he’s finally diving headfirst into his music career. There’s been plenty of buzz about Casey Veggies, largely because of the slick mixtapes he’s been dropping since 2007 as well as his 2011 debut LP Sleeping in Class. With a smart, even-keeled flow and intriguing collaborations with everyone from OFWGKTA’s Tyler the Creator to Mac Miller, Veggies looks to blow up any day now.

He’s headlining the Roxy Theatre on Saturday and will be joined by Street Drum Corps and Nico Vega. If the hype’s true, it’s going to be a show worth watching.

Capsize

Thursday, March 8-April 15

Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions

There’s theater, then there’s art and then there’s performance art.

In celebration of this hybrid of the arts is Capsize, a new collaborative installation and performance by Tad Beck and Jennifer Locke, curated by Marjorie Vecchio.

The contemporary exhibition features photographs that incorporate objects, landscape and models off the coast of Maine to explore Locke’s ideas on action and movement.

Both artists share a common interest in voyeurism and looking upon the body. Beck takes a particular interest in eroticism, masculinity and absurdity, while Locke is concerned with the ways in which forms inhabit space.

In either case, Beck and Locke explore the human form and the societal perceptions surrounding this physicality.

An opening reception will be held today at LACE from 8 to 10 p.m.

Be sure to check out Capsize to see the different ways in which the body is viewed firsthand.

Human Behavior 2: The Exodus

Friday, March 9, 7 p.m.

The Lab at Hollywood Improv

Dealing with midterms can be, in a word, stressful; unwind this weekend with a little offbeat fun from the hilarious comedy trio, Awkward Kids. The group is composed of three women — Dana Pacheco, Michelle Glavan and Christiann Castellanos — who all sport diverse backgrounds, including stints with the Upright Citizens Brigade and roles on shows like Comedy Central’s hilarious slacker comedy, Workaholics.

The show features some colorful segments, such as “Forest B-tches,” a gangsta-rap take on fairy tales, as well as a humorous look at the “Coupon Fairy.”

Considering that the last Awkward Kids show sold out, it’s probably wise to get tickets soon.  With the online promo code — see AwkwardKids.com — tickets are only $5 and The Lab at Hollywood Improv also sports a full drink and food menu for your enjoyment.

6th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Festival

Saturday, March 17, 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

Orange County Marketplace

Bust out the corned beef, cabbage and, of course, Irish coffee; it’s that time of the year again.

The Orange County Marketplace welcomes its 6th Annual Saint Patrick’s Day Festival: a celebration with Irish dance, Celtic music and a giant leprechaun — seriously.

More than 100 world champion Irish dancers will perform throughout the day, including companies such as the Claddagh School of Irish Dance and the Butler Fearon O’Connor School of Irish Dance.

Additionally, electric cellist Marston Smith will play his uniquely designed six string cello. Irish comedy and magic with Abbit the Average Leprechaun will be available all day long.

Did we mention there will be green beer, green ice cream and green lemonade? There seems to be a theme here.

Admission is $2 and the event is held in conjunction with the O.C. Fair & Event Center in Costa Mesa weekend swap meet, which features hundreds of vendors.

Let’s be real: The Irish know how to party.