Woody Allen’s film gets title change (again) and release date

Woody Allen’s upcoming film, which was once titled The Bop Decameron and was later changed to Nero Fiddled because the director feared the title would be too obscure for audiences, has received another title change.

The prolific director has now changed the title of his film to the much more conventional To Rome with Love.

This isn’t the first time the director has run into problems with titles. In fact, his Best Picture winner, Annie Hall, originally had a title of Anhedonia, which means “the inability to feel pleasure,” but was changed at the request of its studio, United Artists.

Woody Allen is coming off his most successful film to date with Midnight in Paris and a title such as To Rome with Love will likely attract more viewers when it is released on June 22.

The prolific director, who is known for filming in his hometown of New York, has chosen Europe as his destination for his past few films. This film follows in the tradition of his most recent films, such as Midnight in Paris and Vicky Cristina Barcelona, by including the city’s name in the title, further attesting that his European films are love letters to the cities they were filmed in.

In a press release, Sony Pictures Classics, who will be releasing the film, explained the title change.

‘To Rome with Love was a name selected as an homage to the eternal city of Rome where the film was shot on location last summer. This will be used for its worldwide release. The film’s former title, Nero Fiddled, while an appropriate and humorous phrase in the U.S., is not a familiar expression overseas and many international territories preferred a more globally understood name.”

To Rome with Love is said to be divided into four separate vignettes, including American and Italian actors.