USC improves to 13-3 with victory over 49ers

The Women of Troy showed off their defensive prowess on Thursday, allowing no more than one goal per period in a 7-3 home win over Long Beach State.

Water logged · Sophomore two-meter Colleen O’Donnell and the Women of Troy held their own against the 49ers with a 7-3 win. - Chris Pham | Daily Trojan

No. 3 USC (13-3) spread out its scoring, as seven different players netted a point for the Women of Troy.

The 49ers (7-11) kept close through most of the first half, only down by a 3-2 deficit well into the second period.

But the Women of Troy scored back-to-back goals to end the half to give themselves a 5-2 advantage heading into the locker room.

Both sophomore goalies had strong performances in the goal, as Flora Bolonyai had 10 saves for USC and Kelly Ringel recorded 14 for Long Beach State.

Unfortunately for the 49ers, Ringel made 12 of her saves in the second half, after the Women of Troy already had a comfortable lead.

Long Beach State’s Heather Mckeon opened the scoring in the second half with a goal to cut the USC lead to 5-3, but the Women of Troy didn’t allow a goal for the rest of the game.

Senior driver Nadia Dan scored the 100th goal of her career to give USC a 6-3 lead in the third period, then junior two-meter Patricia Jancso netted the only goal of the fourth period to make the final score 7-3.

Sophomore two-meter Colleen O’Donnell, freshman driver Monica Vavic and junior drivers Dominique Sardo, Chelsea Silvers and Blair Moody all scored for USC in the first half.

The Women of Troy now fly out to Tempe for Mountain Pacific Sports Federation conference games at No. 4 Arizona State on Saturday at noon before heading back home for a nonconference match against No. 7 Loyola Marymount at 1 p.m. at McDonald’s Swim Stadium.