Quantic and Alice Russell put heads together for funky LP

On the off chance I’m listening to the radio, it’s likely that most of what I’m getting is nothing more than background noise. There is one station that stands out among the rest for superior musical taste. KCRW (89.9 FM) always plays good music, so much so that my standards for “good” are constantly being nudged higher and higher every time I tune in. Even when listening to KCRW though, it’s easy for the mind to stray and the music to fall upon deaf ears.

One track that I heard recently on the station however, grabbed me by the ear and dragged me towards one of my new favorite musical projects. It was called “I’ll Keep My Light in My Window” courtesy of a new album collaboration between Quantic and Alice Russell, called Look Around the Corner. The album is being released today.

Quantic is a DJ/producer/musician from the UK known for his various soul projects funk including the Quantic Soul Orchestra. Alice Russell is a soul singer from the UK as well, who is being hailed as one of the countries best voices. Being mentioned in the same paragraph as Adele is a benchmark often used in describing Russell. Not a bad credential to have.

Other tracks from the album had been previously released including the album’s title track “Look Around the Corner.”

From what is available online now, this album promises to be an early contender for one of the years best. This collaboration is likely to thrust both artists closer towards the discerning ear of public interest. Quantic and Alice Russell are funky together to the point where you’ll be looking for a dance floor just so you can play along with. Don’t sleep on this one.