Television star discusses role as actor, director

Josh Radnor, who plays the protagonist on the Emmy-nominated comedy How I Met Your Mother, spoke about his character and work at an event sponsored by Program Board in Taper Hall on Monday.

Star · Josh Radnor, the lead actor in How I Met Your Mother, discussed his upbringing and decision to become an actor at an event sponsored by Program Board on Monday. - Ani Kolangian | Daily Trojan

Radnor plays Ted Mosby, who tells his children the humorous history of how he met their mother, along with the other adventures he and his friends have in New York City.

Radnor said the reason the show is enjoyable for the audience and for himself is that the actors genuinely take pleasure in working with each other.

“I guess we do laugh a lot during the day, and I don’t know a lot of people who can say that about their work place,” Radnor said. “If I wasn’t in How I Met Your Mother, I’d probably be a fan of the show.”

Radnor said that in addition to his role on How I Met Your Mother, he has enjoyed directing movies and has so far directed two films. Radnor’s latest film Liberal Arts appeared at Sundance Film Festival in January and his film Happythankyoumoreplease was shown in theaters in March 2011.

Radnor said after How I Met Your Mother has finished, he expects to return to theater, in addition to writing, directing and acting in movies.

“[Theater’s] probably my favorite form of acting,” Radnor said. “I always play this game in my head whether I want to act or direct or write, and I actually like all of it, but I’d like to direct a movie that I’m not in, because I’m in both of my first two movies.”

As for the future of How I Met Your Mother, Radnor said he couldn’t reveal much, but that the series will be continuing for a while longer.

“At least one more year, but I’m not sure beyond that,” Radnor said.

Deborah Liu, a freshman majoring in business administration, said she was looking forward to seeing Radnor speak, because she enjoys Radnor’s show.

“I’ve watched every episode of [How I Met Your Mother], so I was really excited to see him in person and to hear him speak,” Liu said. “It was great to see that he was just as funny in person as he is in his show, and I can’t wait for more of his [television] shows and movies.”