USC to begin construction of tram shelters

USC Transportation has secured funding to create six permanent shelters for passengers to wait under.

The tram stops will provide students with a safe and comfortable location to wait for the shuttles, said Jared Ginsburg, outgoing director of campus affairs for the Undergraduate Student Government, which has been advocating for the project.

Safety · USC Transportation plans to construct six tram shelters on campus to help increase use and safety of passenger riding shuttles. - Yasamin Yeganeh | Daily Trojan

The shelters will include electronic signs with information about the arrival time for the next tram, additional lighting and a seating area, Ginsburg said.

USG supports the tram shelter project because it will improve student safety and confusion about riding the shuttles, Ginsburg said.

“We have found that students are often unclear as to where to wait for the next tram, what the schedules of shuttles currently [are] and more generally, the overall safety of waiting in a dark area at night,” Ginsburg said.

Ginsburg said the project is slated for completion on Oct. 2.

The funding for the tram shelters will be divided between USC and advertising company MSS Media. MSS Media will pay for the shelters and USC will pay for the installation.

Michael Cowan, a junior majoring in biological sciences, said the shelters will make it easier to ride the tram.

“This is beneficial for students because it’s convenient to know when the next tram will arrive,” Cowan said. “Also, a tram shelter will create a more welcoming environment for students to use campus transportation.”

Joe Huang, a junior majoring in communication, said the shelters will increase tram usage.

“Some students might be more inclined to use [the shuttle] if the shelters were built,” Huang said.

Ginsburg said the tram system will be easier to use and enhance safety.

“I’m sure the addition of tram shelters will make using the trams easier, but the most important part of the addition of tram shelters is the safety aspect,” he said.