Haute Highlights

Gotye

Thursday, April 19, at 8 p.m.

Nokia Theatre

Who would have thought that a Belgian-born, Australian-bred indie-rock singer would hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100?

Gotye’s smash-hit single “Somebody That I Used to Know” is practically inescapable these days, and for good reason — the jangly, mournful tune flaunts a brilliantly catchy chorus and spot-on guest vocals from New Zealand singer-songwriter Kimbra.

Thankfully for everyone who can’t stop humming the melody, Gotye is bringing his signature sound to Nokia Theatre for a performance that will show off all his quirky, dynamic material.

He’s bringing along Kimbra as well, and the concert looks to highlight the duo’s musical chemistry as well as give her a chance to shine onstage.

Considering how popular Gotye has become in the past few months, it’s fair to say that tickets will go fast.

Earth Day at L.A. Live

Sunday, April 22, noon – 6 p.m.

L.A. Live

In our daily hustle and bustle, we sometimes forget to appreciate Earth’s natural resources and environments, which led to the establishment of Earth Day more than three decades ago. This year, L.A. Live is hosting an expansive event to highlight the annual celebration.

Though there might be some irony in holding this event at one of Los Angeles’ most expansive and expensive entertainment developments, Earth Day at L.A. Live features exciting performers, booths and activities that are worth hitting up.

Some highlights include talent and athlete meet-and-greets, shirt silkscreening and a show by famed reggae frontman Elan Atias, formerly of legendary band The Wailers. All in all, the event looks like a pleasant way to spend a balmy Sunday afternoon, and celebrate the planet we share.

Los Angeles Comedy Festival

Friday, April 20-26

Location and times vary

They say laughter prolongs life, so what better way to get your stressed-out self through finals than to attend the Los Angeles Comedy Festival? It’s the largest comedy festival in the nation, after all, and the weeklong event makes for the perfect way to let off steam with more than a few good laughs.

The festival will feature live comedy shows, films, webseries and a screenplay competition.

To give you a better idea, past participants included Kate Bosworth, Zoë Saldana and Cedric the Entertainer. Many of these former competitors have gone on to take part in Last Comic Standing and Saturday Night Live, and some have even won an Oscar for best short film.

The festival has already proved itself and its talent. And with plenty of fresh acts — upcoming comedians, well-known talents, Ryan Gosling and even a short film poking fun at Titanic 3-D — to look forward to this year, the Los Angeles Comedy Festival is not one to miss.

Intersections: World Arts, Local Lives

Fowler Museum at UCLA

Ongoing exhibition

UCLA might suck, as the infamous Trojan football chant goes, but that doesn’t mean that Westwood isn’t worth checking out. With a mélange of culturally diverse art, The Fowler Museum at UCLA offers quite the incentive to head over to Bruin territory and check out Intersections: World Arts, Local Lives.

The long-term exhibition features more than 250 diverse works from the Fowler collection, originating from Africa, Asia, the Pacific and the Americas, which are displayed together to emphasize the value of fine arts and the impact these arts have on people.

Notable works include a detailed painted Chinese hand puppet, a 19th-century headdress designed by the Efut peoples of Nigeria and an ancient portrait vessel from Peru.

With such culturally diverse and enticing works, it seems as if you have no choice but to finally see this fine arts exhibit; we’re sure you have always meant to go to (hint, nudge) and now is your chance.