Attorney, alumni leader to serve as USC trustee

Lisa Denton Barkett, an alumna of the class of 1981 and Board of Governors President of the USC Alumni Association this past year, was elected last week to a five-year term on the Board of Trustees.

As president of the Board of Governors, Barkett made several notable changes within the USC community. During her tenure, she worked to enhance the association’s visibility both on the campus and in the world, co-hosting a Trojan Family Reception in Shanghai as well as helping in organizing the association’s fourth annual USC Women’s Conference in March with the theme of “Inspired & Empowered: Moving Forward.”

Along with emphasizing the association’s role, Barkett created the USC Alumni Day of SCervice to increase community outreach. The event brought together more than 1,500 volunteers to participate in projects organized by USC alumni clubs and other affiliated groups in 18 states and nine countries.

“I am delighted to welcome Lisa Barkett to the USC Board of Trustees,” President C. L. Max Nikias said in a statement. “One of our most passionate and inspiring volunteers, Lisa truly embodies the Trojan spirit of giving back. For more than two decades, she has contributed on many fronts to helping advance the academic mission of her alma mater. I look forward to the creativity and insights she will contribute as a member of our board.”

In addition to sitting on the Board of Governors since 2007, Barkett has been a dynamic member of the Trojan League Associates of San Diego County for the last 20 years.

Gov. Jerry Brown also appointed Barkett, an attorney in private practice, to the Board of Directors of the 22nd District Agricultural Association for the State of California and on the Del Mar Fairgrounds Racetrack Leasing Commission.

Barkett also serves on the Board of Trustees of Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.

Barkett earned her bachelor of arts degree from the USC Price School of Public Policy and a law degree from the Pepperdine University School of Law.