Khaled Holmes on watch list for top interior lineman

Senior center Khaled Holmes has been named to the Outland Trophy preseason watch list, the Football Writers Association of America announced Thursday.

Having already earned a selection to the Rimington Award watch list, which honors the nation’s best center, Holmes continues to attract the attention of preseason awards committees. Holmes joins 70 other players on the watch list for the Outland Trophy, which recognizes the top interior lineman in the country.

After receiving input from the FWAA All-America Committee, the 25-player All-America team will be announced. Three Outland finalists are subsequently chosen from that roster by Nov. 19, with the Committee then determining the winner by submitting individual ballots. The award recipient is announced Dec. 6 during the Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show.

The Outland Trophy, awarded annually since 1946, is the third oldest award in college football, recognizing the country’s best centers, offensive guards and tackles and defensive tackles. It is named after John Outland, an All-America lineman who played football at Penn College, the University of Kansas and the University of Pennsylvania in the late 19th century.

Holmes will compete against Alabama senior Barrett Jones, who will seek to become the second repeat Outland Trophy winner after Nebraska center Dave Rimington accomplished the feat in 1981-82.