Jovanovic joins Trojan basketball

Men’s basketball coach Kevin O’Neill and his staff bolstered their 2013 recruiting class on Monday with the commitment of 6’10 big man Nikola Jovanovic, according to the Orange County Register. Before joining the Trojans, the Serbian native will polish his game this season playing at Arlington Country Day School in Jacksonville, Fla.

Jovanovic can bring to the Trojans his wide array of post moves and a shooting touch vaguely reminiscent of Orlando Magic player and former Trojan star Nikola Vucevic, also an international recruit.

Earlier this summer, O’Neill scored commitments from two guards—Kahlil Dukes (Hartford, Conn.) and Roschon Prince (Long Beach, Calif.). Both will add depth to a Trojan squad that, at one point in time last season, employed multiple walk-ons in the regular rotation. Rounding out the Class of 2013 is USC’s top ranked player of this year’s recruiting haul, point guard Kendal Harris (Richardson, Texas). Harris is the only member of the class who is ranked in ESPN’s top 100 (#74, #18 PG). He will have the opportunity to compete for playing time in the backcourt with returning guards Jio Fontan and J.T. Terrell along with a possibly reinstated Maurice Jones.

The four newcomers combine to give USC one of its larger incoming recruiting classes, as the Trojans during O’Neill’s tenure have relied primarily on transfers for new blood within the program.

The Trojans open up their regular season in less than two months against Coppin State at the Galen Center.