Negrete named to Good Works Team

Senior punter Kyle Negrete earned a spot on the All State AFCA Good Works Team for his philanthropic work off the field, All State and the AFCA announced Tuesday.

Negrete is best known for his directional punting and entered 2012 as a Ray Guy Award candidate, given each year to the nation’s top collegiate punter.

Negrete’s contributions to the university are not limited to his work on Saturdays, though; he has been involved with a number of service projects in the L.A. community, including the “Best Buddies” program which pairs student-athletes’ to serve as mentors for autistic teenagers looking for guidance.  Negrete helped create the program while he was at the University of San Diego and still keeps in touch with his initial teen mentee.

Negrete has been fairly active internationally as well, going on a number of service trips, including organized visits to Africa and Haiti where he was accompanied by, among others, teammate senior quarterback Matt Barkley. While in Haiti, Negrete led a team of Trojans in building homes in the area decimated by the Port-Au-Prince earthquake in 2008.

Selected to the Good Works Team from a total of 117 nominees, the former Joe Collins Walk-on award winner took to Twitter following the announcement of his special recognition.

“It’s an extreme honor and blessing to be named to the AllState AFCA Good Works Team this year,” Negrete tweeted. “God gets the glory!”