Vavic wins player of the week

Junior Nikola Vavic of the water polo team netted his first MPSF Player of the Week award by scoring 12 goals throughout the NorCal Tournament over the weekend, helping the Trojans win their third straight NorCal title. The highlight of the weekend came against UCLA, where his four goals helped the Trojans pick up a 7-6 win over their crosstown rivals while securing the tournament championship.

The tournament furthered his progress on the season, as he now leads the Trojans with 26 goals and moved up the USC career scoring list with 116 goals.

Vavic earned his first Player of the Week award after numerous accolades the last two years. He came into the season as a two-time All-American as well as the Trojan’s leading scorer in 2010 with 49 goals. Last year he was the second leading scorer on the team with 41 goals. Along with fellow junior James Clark, Vavic was named to the NCAA.com “players to watch list.”

The 20-year old lefty from California also has experience on the international level, playing with the U.S. Junior National Team. Vavic was their third leading scorer at the 2009 FINA World Junior National Championships.

The Trojans are looking to win their fifth national title in a row and have started off in fine fashion, winning their first eight games ahead of a televised matchup this weekend against California. The eventual championship match will be held at the McDonald’s Swim Stadium at USC.