Barkley named CLASS award candidate

Senior quarterback Matt Barkley was selected as a candidate for the national 2012 Senior CLASS Award in collegiate football, the Pac-12 announced Monday.

Off-field star · Though quarterback Matt Barkley is best known for his play on the field, he remains active in the community and has a 3.21 GPA. – Carlo Acenas | Daily Trojan

Barkley joins 30 senior student-athletes from Football Bowl Subdivision teams who have demonstrated success in the classroom and on the field while making a positive impact in their communities.

Barkley, a communication major, carries a 3.21 grade point average, making him one of 16 candidates who have a GPA higher than 3.0. He also took 15 of his teammates on a service trip to Haiti last summer to build four homes and deliver 2,500 pounds of supplies.

Barkley has also traveled to Nigeria, South Africa and Mexico to rebuild houses, distribute supplies and gifts and volunteer at orphanages.

While attending Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, Calif., Barkley and his father Les started the Monarchs for Marines program that raised money for families of wounded and fallen soldiers.

On the field, Barkley has 10,059 passing yards and 92 touchdowns in his USC career. He has the second-most passing completions and third-most total offense yards of  all time for the Trojans.

Through four games this season, Barkley has thrown for 1,005 yards and 12 touchdowns. He is on pace to become USC’s all-time leader in passing touchdowns, passing completions and total offensive yardage.

The Trojans’ first-ever three-time captain is one of eight candidates who were All-Americans last season.

Three other Pac-12 players were nominated for the award, including UCLA punter Jeff Locke, Arizona center Kyle Quinn and California tackle Matt Summers-Gavin.

Other notable nominees include Wisconsin running back Montee Ball, Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones, Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein and Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o.

After the candidates are narrowed down to 10 finalists midway through the season, an official ballot will be distributed to media, coaches and fans. The winner of the award will then be announced during the 2012-13 bowl season.