Franco will teach film class at USC

The USC School of Cinematic Arts announced Monday in an email to students that actor James Franco will teach a film production class for the spring semester.

The class, which will be co-taught by Franco’s business partner Vince Jolivette, requires students to make a 10-minute film related to the course theme of “The Labyrinth,” according to the email. The films will be compiled into one longer film at the end of the course, with each short film serving as an exploration of “the unknown, the unexplained and the unimaginable.”

Neale Hemrajani, a second year graduate student studying film production, plans to apply for one of the class’ eight spots. Hemrajani feels that having two prominent professors will give students a professional edge.

“With James Franco’s name attached to it, you know it’s going to go somewhere, and it’s a great opportunity for any student to have their work seen,” he said.

In addition to maintaining a high-profile acting career, Franco has attended several universities, including UCLA, Yale University and Columbia University. He previously taught a class at New York University about creating short films based on poetry.

Franco’s next film, Oz: The Great and Powerful, is set to be released in March. Some students, like Quinn Mason, a junior majoring in critical studies, worry that Franco’s acting career will interfere with his obligations at USC.

“I’m sure [the class] would be something interesting, but he’s everywhere,” Mason said. “I’m not sure he’ll have that much time to dedicate to the club and the students.”