Suspect pleads not guilty

Brandon Spencer, a 20-year-old security guard from Inglewood, pleaded not guilty Monday to four counts of attempted murder in connection with an on-campus shooting last Wednesday, prosecutors told the Los Angeles Times.

Spencer allegedly opened fire after he became engaged in a verbal dispute with Geno Hall, a former football player at Crenshaw High School, at an Oct. 31 party promoted by LA Hype in association with the Black Student Assembly. Hall sustained several gunshot wounds in his leg, thigh, stomach and buttocks, Hall’s father told the Times. Spencer’s lawyer told reporters that his client was scheduled to begin taking classes at UCLA to become an emergency medical technician on Monday, according to City News Service.

Prosecutors believe Spencer, who also wounded three others outside the Ronald Tutor Campus Center, is affiliated with a gang. None of the victims from Wednesday’s incident were affiliated with USC, and the three unintended victims were transported to California Hospital Medical Center, where they were reportedly expected to make a full recovery.

A preliminary hearing has been set for Dec. 6, according to ABC News. If convicted, Spencer will face up to life in prison. Bail was set at $2.04 million, according to City News Service.

Student leaders from BSA, the Undergraduate Student Government and USC Program Board have issued statements in response to the incident as well as a letter to the Daily Trojan that states that BSA will suspend social events for the remainder of the semester and that Program Board will increase scrutiny on outside organizations for co-sponsored events.