Finalists for Scripter Awards announced

Established by The Friends of the USC Libraries in 1988, the USC Libraries Scripter Award recognizes the screenwriters behind the year’s strongest cinematic adaptations, in addition to the author of the written work upon which the screenplay is based.

The finalists for this year’s 25th annual ceremony are the authors and screenwriters of Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Life of Pi, Lincoln, The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Silver Linings Playbook.

Only five adaptations are traditionally chosen as finalists, but this year a tie caused six to be chosen from a field of 82 candidates. Notable Scripter winners of the past include The Descendants, The Social Network and Schindler’s List. The inaugural awards in 1988 honored author Helene Hanff and screenwriter Hugh Whitemore for 84 Charing Cross Road.

USC Libraries will name the winning authors and screenwriters during a black-tie ceremony on Feb. 9 at Doheny Memorial Library, and the selection committee will feature award-winning screenwriters, authors and faculty.

Golden Globe-winning screenwriter Naomi Foner and Howard Rodman, USC professor and vice president of the Writers Guild of America West, will co-chair the event, with Academy Award winners Helen Mirren and Taylor Hackford serving as honorary dinner chairs.