Olmos, Gomez win Pac-12 weekly awards

The USC tennis program received two accolades Tuesday, as junior Emilio Gomez and sophomore Giuliana Olmos received the Pac-12 men’s and women’s tennis players of the week for the week of Jan. 21-27.

Gomez dominated this past weekend at the ITA Kick-Off, which was hosted at USC’s Marks Tennis Stadium. He won both of his matches in straight sets, first against San Diego State’s Derek Siddiqui 7-6, 6-2. He followed that up on Sunday with a 6-2, 6-3 victory against Fresno State’s Reid DeLaubenfels. Gomez was also impressive in doubles play, playing alongside sophomore Eric Johnson to beat Fresno State by a score of 8-1. All in all, the junior played a key part in helping the Trojans qualify for the ITA National Team Indoor championship, which begins in February.

On the women’s side, Giuliana Olmos truly dominated during the Kick-Off Weekend. She started off with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Akron’s Angelina Jogarusia, contributing to a Trojan sweep of the Zips. She recorded another straight-set victory on Sunday against UC Irvine, with a 6-3, 6-0 defeat of Franziska Goettsching. During doubles play, Olmos played with senior standout Danielle Lao and notched an 8-1 victory.

The men’s and women’s teams have started off the season in impressive fashion. Both teams remain unbeaten and boast top-five rankings nationally, with the men at No. 2 overall and the women currently positioned at No. 4 .

The men will continue their homestand and not play a road match until the middle of next month, while the women travel to Pepperdine on Thursday before returning home for a match with Fresno State.