Singer donates $5 million for critical studies

Bryan Singer will be the first USC alumnus to have a division of the School of Cinematic Arts named after him.

Cash flow · With this donation, Bryan Singer joins other benefactors including alumnus George Lucas and recent donor Sumner Redstone. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Cash flow · With this donation, Bryan Singer joins other benefactors including alumnus George Lucas and recent donor Sumner Redstone. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Singer has recognized USC’s impact on his successful career with a $5 million naming donation made to the Bryan Singer Division of Critical Studies, according to the School of Cinematic Arts.

Singer said he is “honored to give back” to the school that in many ways started his career.

“In a way, I began my career in the division of Critical Studies at USC,” Singer said. “Watching great films and learning how to think about film from the faculty transformed me as an artist and as a person.”

Singer’s donation is intended to help USC students follow in his footsteps by offering them courses focusing on a wide range of media, from major Hollywood films to content on Internet outlets such as YouTube. Students in the program also learn how the changing forms of media affect greater society.

Singer’s various projects since his graduation in 1989 have grossed more than $2 billion worldwide, making him one of the most successful filmmakers today. He is currently in pre-production for the film X-Men: Days of Future Past.