Oodles of noodles

The newest edition to the slate of Japanese noodle restaurants in Little Tokyo is Tsurumaru Udon, located on the third floor of the Little Tokyo Shopping Center. Unlike some noodle restaurants, Tsurumaru offers quick service and customizable udon bowls at affordable prices. Not only that, but Tsurumaru makes its own udon noodles and even makes premium toppings fresh after an order is placed. Simply put, the restaurant provides many different choices that will satisfy both meat lovers and vegetarians alike.web Udon2

The most intriguing part about this restaurant is it has an ordering system similar to an assembly line. Once a customer steps in, the customer chooses the size of their udon and soup base. If a customer is ever confused, there is a large sign at the front that shows customers how to order.

At Tsurumaru, the customer can order their udon for about $5. Similar to options at other noodle restaurants, Tsurumaru’s soup bases and udon noodles can be served either hot or cold. The whole process is very straightforward and allows the customer to see the food being created as they order.

After a customer selects a soup base and size, the customer can watch as the Udon chefs loosen the udon and place it in a nicely decorated bowl. The cook then pours soup on top of the udon, after which  the customer then takes their plate and move on to the topping bar. There one can pick out a number of regular toppings (green onion, tofu and seaweed, for instance) as well as some premium toppings, which are made to order so they retain their fresh taste. These toppings include freshly made tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet) and tempura.

A customer pays a flat rate for a portion of regular toppings, while the premium toppings are paid for by the piece. After the desired plate is selected, one can head to the cashier to pay and then take a seat on one of the wooden chairs facing a glass windowpane, letting diners people-watch if they so desire. After the meal is finished, follow a large sign that points to a tray area where trays and empty bowls are returned— no mess, no fuss.

Along with the udon, there are also many side dishes; one highlight is the Japanese rice balls, or onigiri. Unlike the store-bought ones that are usually very chilled, the onigiri here are prepared hot and fresh, providing a great complement no matter what type of udon you order. And the cost for a complete meal isn’t overwhelming: For about $10, one can get a regular niku udon bowl with three toppings — the restaurant is generous with each — as well as an onigiri on the side.

Many Japanese restaurants are closed during lunch hours and open during dinner hours, or have some sort of break between the two dining periods. Thankfully, Tsurumaru is open from 11 a.m to 9 p.m. and also delivers, giving students around USC a convenient option when udon cravings strike. The restaurant tends to be mellow around 2 p.m. on weekdays, but the assembly-line approach works well in the event of a customer rush, which mostly happens during dinner hours.

The restaurant also features an open kitchen, allowing customers to see that the managers and employees are constantly checking the temperature and freshness of the ingredients. Overall, the restaurant is a hybrid of a food court and higher-end sit-down restaurant; it feels somewhat like a food court that happens to just have one booth. The customer benefits from not having to take a seat and wait for someone to come by, and the system also lets customers actively engage with the entire construction of the meal. In that way, Tsurumaru is the best mixture of on-the-go dining with the benefits of having a calm dining room in which to eat. Despite ordering in an assembly-line manner, the atmosphere at Tsurumaru does not feel rushed at all. The clean wooden floor and warm lighting create a relaxing dining environment.

Though the ambiance and service are top rate, some might find the soup to be a little salty, though that probably depends on that day’s preparation. However, the meat and the udon are both very well prepared. The beef, for one, is rich, and flavorful and provides a perfect counterpart to the star of the dish, the udon, which has a nice bite and is miles better than the frozen udon you might have had at home (or even at other restaurants).

Tsurumaru Udon has broad appeal, and for good reason. The food, service system and setting all combine to make an affordable dining experience that will appeal to cash-strapped students and udon lovers alike.