Santamaria continues to rack up honors

Sophomore tennis star Sabrina Santamaria has accomplished quite a bit during her young, wildly successful career, and this week saw yet another achievement added to an already impressive list. Santamaria was named the Pac-12’s player of the week on Tuesday for the third time this season after impressive performances last weekend against the Arizona schools.

Loaded · Sophomore Sabrina Santamaria is the highest ranked of four USC players who are ranked in the top 60 of the ITA’s current rankings. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Loaded · Sophomore Sabrina Santamaria is the highest ranked of four USC players who are ranked in the top 60 of the ITA’s current rankings. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Against the Sun Devils, the Women of Troy pulled off a 7-0 sweep to hand ASU its first conference loss of the season, moving USC into sole possession of first place. In that match, the No. 2-ranked Santamaria defeated ASU’s No. 23 Jacqueline Cako 6-3, 6-3. Santamaria also was strong in doubles, pairing with senior Danielle Lao for the first time this season against ASU. The duo was ahead 6-5 when the match was suspended after USC had secured the doubles point.

Against Arizona, Santamaria knocked off another ranked opponent in Arizona’s No. 64-ranked Lacey Smyth. Santamaria was pushed in the second set but won by a score of 6-3, 7-6 to clinch the win for USC. In doubles, Santamaria teamed with Lao again, and this time the pair cruised to an 8-1 victory over Arizona’s Smyth and Shayne Austin.

On the year, Santamaria is a stellar 28-3 overall in singles matches and a perfect 15-0 in dual matches. She is also a flawless 26-0 in doubles matches, teaming with Lao and her primary partner, junior Kaitlyn Christian. The duo of Santamaria and Christian is currently ranked No. 1 in the country and has won back-to-back ITA national indoor doubles championships.

Santamaria capped of an impressive freshman campaign by hauling in a plethora of impressive awards, including a spot on the ITA All-American singles and doubles teams. She and Christian also won the Pac-12 Doubles Championship and were named the Pac-12 Doubles Team of the Year. This season has seen an extension of that success, as her individual ranking is at a career high, and she has teamed with Christian to win both the ITA national indoors championship as well as the ITA/Riviera All-American doubles championship.

Santamaria is the sixth different USC player to win the Pac-12’s weekly honor this season. The Women of Troy will continue their quest for a conference championship this weekend when they take on Oregon on Sunday, April 14 in Eugene, Ore.