University station receives $1 million

Natalie Klein, co-chair of the advisory board for Classical KDFC Radio, and her husband, USC Trustee Ken Klein, donated $1 million on Tuesday to Classical KDFC Radio, the university-owned radio station serving the Bay Area.

This was the largest donation to USC Radio its 66-year history. The donation was part of the station’s endowment for the “For the Music” campaign.

USC Radio, which also owns Classical KUSC in Los Angeles, purchased KDFC in 2011. KDFC and KUSC are two of the largest and most popular public radio and nonprofit classical music stations in the United States, according to a KDFC San Francisco Classical news release.

USC Radio’s goal is to reach $10 million in capital investments in order to build a permanent home. KDFC hopes to raise $7.5 million for startup and operating funds and $1.5 million for expansion efforts. The Kleins’ $1 million donation covers 100 percent of the proposed amount for its future endowment.

Ken Klein has served on the USC Board of Trustees since 2009 and graduated from USC in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering. He said USC’s support for Classical KDFC Radio can in turn support future Trojans and alumni and that he has also had a long-held interest in music and the arts.

“I see the preservation of this station as linking what the university is doing with the arts to the needs of the Bay Area community, which is a very important community to USC in terms of incoming students and alumni,” Klein said. “With its six arts schools and its incredible support of world-class classical music, USC and KDFC share a common love of the arts.”

President C. L. Max Nikias said the Kleins’ donation significantly impacts campaign efforts.

“Natalie and Ken Klein stand among USC’s most dedicated supporters, and their commitment to classical radio is evidenced by their extraordinary generosity,” Nikias said in a statement. “Their exceptional gift will do so much to bring classical music to listeners throughout our state.”

This was not the Kleins’ first contribution to the school. In 2006, they founded USC’s Klein Institute for Undergraduate Engineering Life. This institute is focused on preparing students with collaboration and service skills for their future careers.