Center to host more concerts

Nederlander Concerts has entered a deal with the Galen Center at the University Park Campus to book more concerts at the venue, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Busy venue · The Galen Center has hosted events including concerts by Drake and Kendrick Lamar as well as its usual slate of sporting events.  - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Busy venue · The Galen Center has hosted events including concerts by Drake and Kendrick Lamar as well as its usual slate of sporting events. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

The deal came after the announcement that the Gibson Amphitheatre at Universal City will close in September to make way for a new Harry Potter attraction at Universal Studios.

Nederlander Chief Executive Alex Hodges told the Los Angeles Times that the Galen Center would fulfill a need for indoor concert spaces previously provided by the Gibson Amphitheatre.

“This gives us an indoor place for those shows that need to be indoors, and for winter months it gives us the opportunity to replace some of the shows that would be at Gibson on a 12-month basis,” Hodges said.

Nederlander Concerts holds events at several venues in Los Angeles, including the Pantages Theatre and the Greek Theatre.

The Galen Center, located at the southeast corner Figueroa Street and Jefferson Boulevard, can seat audiences 10,258 patrons. The arena has hosted the university’s home basketball and volleyball games, along with several large-scale events including the 2012 and 2013 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards, auditions for the third season of Fox’s The X-Factor and performances by Drake, Kendrick Lamar and A$AP Rocky.

Businessman and university trustee Louis Galen and his wife, Helene, donated $50 million to enable the development of the Galen Center. Construction of the area and pavilion began in October 2004 and cost an estimated $147 million, according to the USC Trojan Athletic website. The Galen Center opened in October 2006 and hosted its first event, a women’s volleyball game between USC and Stanford University, on Oct. 12, 2006.

Before the Galen Center was built, USC basketball games were played at several locations, including the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena and the Shrine Auditorium stage.