Occupational therapy to aim for $6 million

The Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy announced Saturday the creation of a $6 million fundraising initiative, believed to be the largest in the history of occupational therapy higher education programs.

The funds raised will go toward the university’s $6 billion multi-year fundraising effort, known as the Campaign for the University of Southern California. According to USC’s website, 188,709 donors have contributed a total $2.4 billion to the Campaign as of April 24.

The announcement was made April 27 in San Diego, Calif. at the annual conference of the American Occupational Therapy Association.

Associate Dean Florence Clark said the campaign will bring improvements to the division.

“USC has an undeniable legacy of leadership to the profession of occupational therapy, and we are the founders of the occupational science discipline,” Clark said in a statement. “This campaign will take USC occupational science and occupational therapy to an even higher level, and I am so excited to have the entire Trojan Family join together in this unprecedented adventure.”

U.S. News & World Report’s 2014 rankings placed the Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy in the No. 1 spot in March. The division has held the top ranking for 11 of the last 15 years.

The division, which was created in 1942 in response to a growing demand for clinicians to rehabilitate military personnel during World War II, celebrated  last year the 70th anniversary of its founding at USC.

USC launched its $6 billion campaign in August 2011 to increase support for academic priorities, capital projects and infrastructure. The campaign has sought contributions from individual donors, foundations and corporations.

Forty-eight percent of donations have been put toward academic priorities and 38 percent of donations are endowments for schools and scholarships, according to USC’s website. Fourteen percent has been designated as capital.

The goal of the division is to help people build healthy and satisfying lives by generating knowledge about the field and educating practitioners and researchers in occupational science. The division studies participation in daily activities and its relationship to healthy living over a lifespan.