USC to host mayoral debate at Galen Center

The Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics and the Los Angeles Times will co-host the next debate between Los Angeles mayoral contenders City Councilman Eric Garcetti and City Controller Wendy Greuel on Sunday, May 5, at the Galen Center Founders Room.

Director of the Unruh Institute of Politics Dan Schnur and L.A. Times editor-at-large and columnist Jim Newton will moderate the debate. Senior Vice President for University Relations Tom Sayles and L.A. Times publisher and CEO Eddy Hartenstein are slated to give introductions for the candidates.

The first part of the evening will be in the form of a moderated, town hall-style debate. Questions from students and community members will be answered afterward.

A previous debate between Garcetti and Greuel, held on April 22 at the university’s Health Sciences Campus, addressed city issues covering the budget, jobs, the economy, public safety and pension reform.

The runoff election between Garcetti and Greuel will be held on May 21. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s successor will take office after he leaves on June 30.

Media partner KTLA5 will air the debate live and commercial-free. Community sponsors include the Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation and the Junior State of America.