Nellum earns another top distinction

USC senior Bryshon Nellum, who closed out his USC career with an NCAA championship in the 400 meter last week in Oregon, was named the 2013 Pac-12 Male Track Athlete of the Year by commissioner Larry Scott on June 13.

Unrivaled · Senior Bryshon Nellum finished his USC career as the 2013 Pac-12 champion in both the 200 and 400 meter, becoming just the second athlete to accomplish the feat. He ran a personal record of 44.73 in the 400 meter final at the Pac-12 championships. - Kirby Lee | USC Sports information

Unrivaled · Senior Bryshon Nellum finished his USC career as the 2013 Pac-12 champion in both the 200 and 400 meter, becoming just the second athlete to accomplish the feat. He ran a personal record of 44.73 in the 400 meter final at the Pac-12 championships. – Kirby Lee | USC Sports information

In addition to this honor, the redshirt senior was also named the 2013 National Men’s Track Athlete of the Year by the U.S Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

At the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore. held from June 5-8, Nellum placed third in the 200m final with a wind-aided time of 20.27, and dazzled Hayward Field with a personal record of 44.73 in the 400m final, which was the fastest time run by a collegiate runner in 2013. Nellum’s time was the fourth-fastest ever by a Trojan in the finals.

“For my college career, it painted a perfect picture,” expressed Nellum. “Coming from all my injuries and having that long journey, this was a happy ending, winning the national title in the 400m and finishing top three in the 200m. Overall I’ve had a wonderful career at SC.”

Nellum also claimed Pac-12 championship titles in both the 200m and 400m, making him the second conference athlete to ever do so.

The last year for Nellum has been quite exceptional,as he made the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team last June, reached the Olympic semifinals in the 400 meter and was a silver medalist for the 4×400 meter relay team. He would then go on to graduate in December, begin to pursue his graduate degree and then finally excel at the highest levels of collegiate track and field in the spring.

As Nellum wraps up his USC career, he leaves quite a legacy of honors and records behind to be admired by future USC sprinters.