Program will focus on art

The four inaugural students of the USC International Artist Fellowship program began their academic endeavors at the university on Aug. 26.

The IAF, which was announced at USC’s 2011 Global conference in Hong Kong, highlights the university’s six arts schools and their place in Los Angeles. Provost Elizabeth Garrett has been an active member in initiating and overseeing the fellowship.

The program welcomes fellows who are pursuing graduate degrees in the arts to USC for two or three years. Tuition, travel and living expenses are provided so the students can focus on their work.

Though all four fellows are pursuing degrees in the arts, none are in the same program, or even school, at USC.

Fei Kayser, a resident of Beijing, is currently studying dramatic writing.

“I want to write things that are funny and accessible, and not in a didactic style,” she told USC News.

Kayser will be working with USC professors Velina Hasu Houston and Olivia Mayer, while studying for her M.F.A. in dramatic writing at the USC School of Dramatic Arts and anticipates writing two plays per year during her stay.

Vladimir Gorbach, a Russian guitarist who won the Guitar Foundation of America’s International Concert Artist Competition, which prized him a 50-city concert tour, began his classical guitar studies at USC Thornton with professor William Kanengiser.

Jacinto Astiazaran, who spent the last three years in Mexico, has had his multidisciplinary work exhibited on platforms including the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. He told USC News that he wants to “make videos that focus on the social issues between the United States and Mexico.” Astiazaran is studying for his M.F.A. in fine arts at the USC Roski School of Fine Arts.

The final inaugural fellow, Brazilian Frederico Fernandez, hopes to continue his street art and make as many animated films as possible in the next three years while also working toward his M.F.A. in animation and digital arts from USC School of Cinematic Arts.

“In the future, perhaps I’ll be making independent live action films as a director,” he told USC News.

The fellowship is expected to grow to the point of including about 15 people, who will have the opportunity to work in Los Angeles’ leading arts industries, including Hollywood and the Downtown arts corridor.

Follow us on Twitter @dailytrojan