’SC Professor awarded 2013 Balzan Prize for $800,000

Manuel Castells, a professor at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, was recently chosen as one of four recipients of the 2013 Balzan Prize for Sociology. He was awarded a prize of 750,000 Swiss francs, or approximately $800,000.

International recognition · Professor Manuel Castells was recently awarded the Balzan Prize for his reseach in global communications. - Photo courtesy of USC Annenberg

International recognition · Professor Manuel Castells was recently awarded the Balzan Prize for his reseach in global communications. – Photo courtesy of USC Annenberg

Castells said he was surprised to receive the prize since it is rare for people to win the prize for their work in sociology. The Balzan Prize is unique because half of the money awarded to Castells must be dedicated to research conducted by young researchers.

Founded in 1957, the Balzan Foundation aims to “promote culture, the sciences and the most meritorious initiatives in the cause of humanity, peace and fraternity among peoples throughout the world,” according to its website.

“[Castells was chosen] for his wide-ranging and imaginative thinking through the implications of the great technological changes of our time: the digital revolution and the profound social and political challenges brought about by the emerging technologies of communication and information processing associated with computing, microelectronics and the Internet. And for having proposed a general theory of the new global information society that has arisen out of these techniques,” according to a press release from the foundation.

Castells is also the recipient of a multitude of other awards, including the Holberg International Memorial Prize, which is awarded to one person a year for outstanding work in social sciences, law, theology and arts and humanities. He has written 26 books and is the editor or co-author of 22 others. In addition, he has written more than 100 articles in various academic journals.

On Nov. 14, the Balzan Prize recipients will present their research. This year’s ceremony for the winners will take place in Berne, Switzerland on Nov. 15.  On campus, Castells will be hosting an event for USC students and faculty titled the Moral Crisis of China on Sept. 16.