Trojans release 2014 baseball schedule

The USC baseball program announced its 2014 schedule this week.

True grit · Junior infielder James Roberts was a key utility infielder for the Trojans in 2013, starting all of USC’s games at either second base, shortstop, or third base. Roberts was third on the team with a  .320 batting average. - Joseph Chen | Daily Trojan

True grit · Junior infielder James Roberts was a key utility infielder for the Trojans in 2013, starting all of USC’s games at either second base, shortstop, or third base. Roberts was third on the team with a .320 batting average. – Joseph Chen | Daily Trojan

The 53-game slate starts on Feb. 14, when the Trojans will host Northwestern in a weekend set.

Unlike in years past, when the Trojans have made at least one major nonconference road trip, USC will not leave Los Angeles until they start Pac-12 play at Oregon on March 14. Just three of their first 16 contests will occur outside the confines of Dedeaux Field, one of those being the annual Dodgertown Classic, which is scheduled to return after a year’s hiatus against defending national champion UCLA at Dodger Stadium.

“We are excited about our schedule, which we think is extremely challenging,” USC coach Dan Hubbs said in a statement.

USC will play 18 games against teams that made the postseason last year, something that Hubbs has hinted at being a legitimate goal for the Trojans this season. USC hasn’t played in a regional competition since 2005.

Though the Trojans do not have a strong nonconference weekend test, their midweek games look as tough as ever. Two games against 2013 Super Regional host Cal State Fullerton highlight the slate. USC went 0-3 against the perennial powerhouse Fullerton Titans last year.

But after opening the season with so many home games, the Trojans will hit the road for much of March. Starting with the March 9 contest with the Bruins at Dodger Stadium, USC plays just two of its next 10 matchups at home. Back-to-back conference road trips to Oregon and Stanford to open Pac-12 play make for a rough start for a team that went 10-20 in conference play last year.

“Our hope is that we can get off to a strong start with an early home schedule before we get into conference play,” Hubbs said.

Even with the mid-March road series, USC will still play 32 home games compared to just 20 on the road, plus the neutral-site game at Dodger Stadium to round out their 53-game set.