Gospel choir to perform at Ground Zero

You don’t have to be a practicing Christian or even religiously affiliated to enjoy gospel music at USC. The genre is one of the most vocally rich in music, as well as one of the most technically demanding. USC’s gospel choir group, Saved By Grace, is trying to make gospel music accessible to everyone with their Night of Inspirational Soulful Expression, or NOISE, which takes place at Ground Zero Performance Cafe tonight.

Making NOISE · Saved By Grace is USC’s only gospel choir. The organization provides students a place to embrace their religious identity as Christians as well as express that identity through gospel music. NOISE will give Saved By Grace members the opportunity to share gospel music with USC students. - Photo courtesy of Saved By Grace

Making NOISE · Saved By Grace is USC’s only gospel choir. The organization provides students a place to embrace their religious identity as Christians as well as express that identity through gospel music. NOISE will give Saved By Grace members the opportunity to share gospel music with USC students. – Photo courtesy of Saved By Grace

Saved By Grace’s head director, Princeton Parker, said the event, now in its fifth year, started as a way to give his singers performance experience.

“The executive board of the choir at that time was looking for something to showcase talent of the students who were in the choir and the Trojan community members as well,” Parker said. “They were looking to add another event that wasn’t a huge concert … something different.”

Saved By Grace Gospel Choir is the only gospel choir at USC. Originally called the USC Gospel Choir, the group was founded in 1998. As a student organization, their purpose is to raise Christian awareness through worship and spiritual fellowship. The choir performs at several USC events such as Trojan Family Weekend, SChristian Connection and Black and Latino Symposium, in addition to performances at outside venues such as Second Missionary Baptist Church and Mount Mariah. Saved By Grace has also appeared on 102.3 KJLH to talk about their newly released singles “It Is Well” and “’Tis So Sweet,” which are available on iTunes and Amazon.

Everyone has that one student organization at USC they call their home away from home. Whether it’s the Greek system or an athletic team, USC strives to have something for everyone to join and connect with other students. With the Saved by Grace Gospel Choir, it’s no different.

“[Saved By Grace] is just a time to relax,” junior business administration major and president of Saved By Grace Erica Martin said in an interview. “It’s not just us singing. I mean, it’s what we do, [but] we’re more than that -— like a family. It provides a comfort away from all the stress [life] can bring.”

NOISE will not only feature Saved By Grace, but also individual performances from various choir members and guests.

“There are a few of other members that have performances aside from Saved By Grace … so it should be really exciting,” Martin said.

Though spreading the Gospel is the top priority for Saved By Grace, the choir hopes that through NOISE audiences will find something relatable.

“It’s about diversity,” Parker said. “We are so very open to interacting and fellowshipping with even those who don’t believe like we do. The concert will be kind of all gospel … but this event is about diversity. It’s about making sure everyone can come in and get something that speaks to them.”

Both Martin and Parker joined Saved by Grace because they believe in what the organization stands for. Martin said she has been able connect with people who held the same values through her role in Saved By Grace and that the group has defined her experience at USC.

“I love singing … so I knew I wanted to be apart of SBG or whatever I can find that was like this,” Martin said. “It’s kind of hard to find people that are like you, as far as believing in God and finding people who practice Christianity as heavily as I do. To be in an environment where people do believe like you do, like Princeton, who are so willing and they love God so much, it’s really comforting.”

Like Martin, Parker came to USC looking for that place he could find solace outside of the classroom. As someone who was raised in Los Angeles and had gone to church all his life, he was eager to find his place in a similar environment at USC.

“For every person who comes to campus, you look for that place that will become your new home. For me, that was gospel music,” Parker said. “The gospel choir was a huge part of my transition [as a spring admit]. They opened their arms to me and allowed me to learn and glean from them … [and] be a part of the community that was established before I even got there.“

Saved By Grace invites everyone to be a part of their community on Wednesday for a Night of Inspirational and Soulful Expression free of charge at Ground Zero from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.

“There are so many different faces, races that are going to be onstage, different types of music,” Parker said. “But it’s all very inspirational and it’s all going to touch someone. You can definitely come and find something that’s just for you.”