Harberts a candidate for Senior CLASS Award

Senior forward Cassie Harberts was one of 30 female student-athletes selected on Wednesday as candidates for the 2014 Senior CLASS Award.

Stalwart · Senior forward Cassie Harberts has started every game for USC for the past three seasons, and has 17 career double-doubles. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Stalwart · Senior forward Cassie Harberts has started every game for USC for the past three seasons, and has 17 career double-doubles. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

The award is given annually to one male and one female collegiate basketball player who accomplishes notable achievements in four areas of excellence — character, classroom, community and competition.

The senior is entering her third season as a team captain for the Women of Troy, and has also been named to the preseason top-30 list for the John R. Wooden Award, given annually to the most outstanding men’s and women’s basketball players. She’s started every game for USC since joining the team as a freshman.

Harberts, who is majoring in human performance and minoring in nutrition and health promotion, is a two-time Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention and has a 3.23 GPA.

Last season, Harberts was an All-Pac-12 selection after ranking third in the conference in points per game (18.0) and sixth in rebounds per game (8.2). She also led the Women of Troy with 34 blocks, 37.2 minutes per game and a 43.8 field goal percentage.

Harberts won a gold medal this past summer in Kazan, Russia as a member of the United States’ World University Games team.

She enters this season ranked as USC’s No. 16 all-time scoring leader with 1,293 career points, and will resume her climb up the leaderboard next Friday in the team’s opener on the road against UC Davis.

Harberts is one of four Pac-12 women’s basketball players to make the candidate list, which will be narrowed down to 10 finalists halfway through the regular season. Coaches and fans will then vote for one male and one female recipient, and the winners will be announced during their sport’s respective 2014 NCAA Final Four.

Follow Will on Twitter @WillLaws