USC program addresses sexual violence

Recruiting has started for S.A.F.E. T-Alliance, a campus-wide program set to launch next spring by the USC Center for Women and Men, which aims to make the USC campus and community safer through awareness of gender-based violence.

The program will also provide aid and support to members of the USC community who have been victims of gender-based violence, such as stalking, dating violence, sexual assault and sexual harassment.

“The hope … is to feel safe and connected to each other, to feel responsible to ensure one another’s safety. It creates more cohesion. We are already a Trojan Family, this is just another way to enhance that and to support someone, should something happen,” said La Shonda Coleman, the director of S.A.F.E. T-Alliance.

In addition, the S.A.F.E. T-Alliance will launch a leadership program for students, aimed to facilitate peer education. Thus far, there are two types of positions a student can apply for: a tier one safety liaison or a tier two safety leader.

“A safety liaison has a basic knowledge of issues, campus issues and resources,” Coleman said. “They represent a group or organization on campus and keep us connected and establish a relationship with that group.”

Liaisons will receive training through multiple external organizations, such as Peace Over Violence and the Rape Treatment Center, to learn how to deal with issues of common gender violence. The students will also be familiarized with the local resources such as the Dept. of Public Safety’s procedures.

“We understand the importance of outside agencies and how their input is valuable. It is truly collaborative — that is the best way to describe it; it is a collaborative initiative,” Coleman said.

Safety leaders take on higher leadership responsibilities within the alliance. This position requires more than the basic training because safety leaders will work hand-in-hand with staff members, help facilitate workshops and provide support to survivors of gender-based violence.

Coleman said she wants the organization to focus heavily on peer-to-peer contact because she believes that it is essential for students to show their support and be a part of the solution to gender-based violence.

“Why not equip students to be a resource to their peers?” Coleman said. “There is such an opportunity for peer-to-peer education. Peers are more likely to reach out to other peers.”

Coleman said that the recent rape cases that have surfaced at USC just further illustrate how more needs to be done at USC to shift the way students think about sexual harassment.

“It’s not OK. That is why we need a program like this to change the culture. I don’t think girls understand what sexual harassment is, some think it is normal and they shouldn’t take that lightly,” said Kelly Kinas, a freshman majoring in theatre.

Coleman said that she hopes that students leaders from different cross sections within the campus will help to break this pattern of thinking.

“We are looking for someone who is genuinely interested and committed to ensure campus safety and provide support in our community,” Coleman said.

Kinas said she has already submitted her application to S.A.F.E. T-Alliance. Kinas learned about the program after she heard Coleman speak during one of her sorority’s Monday night dinners and applied because she feels personally invested in Coleman’s cause.

“One of my theatre girls got raped outside in a car — it’s absolutely terrible,” Kinas said. “I want to help in any way that I can.”

Other students have expressed support for the program because they believe a program with trained peers might help more people speak up about gender-based violence.

“I would feel a lot safer on campus if this program is implemented … to have students have someone to come to if they aren’t comfortable in talking to their family or friends. It’s nice to have a place to help,” Adanna Teemac, a freshman majoring in psychology, said.

Though the program is just getting started, Coleman said that as it continues to grow, it will continue to shift to adapt to the needs of the university.

“We want to do our best to be a reflection of the USC community and their needs,” Coleman said.

Follow us on Twitter @dailytrojan