Alumna to head institute

Andrea Cohen Gehring, a USC School of Architecture alumna (’85), has been slated to become president of the American Institute of Architects Los Angeles chapter. She will begin her new position in January.

Gehring was put in charge of a feasibility study for the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Currently, Gehring is vice president of the AIA/LA. and California Region Design Leader for DLR Group, an engineering and design firm with 20 offices in China and the United States.

Gehring has also organized and designed projects for clients such as government agencies, hospitals, educational institutions and religious, commercial and historic preservation institutions over the past 28 years.

Gehring was involved in several other USC projects, including the Norris Dental Science Center basement and third floor renovation, the Bovard Administration Building renovation, the conceptual design for both Parkside Residential College and the new Engemann Student Health Center, the Marks Tennis Stadium feasibility study, the Wrigley Marine Science Center Education Building feasibility study and the Heritage Hall Renovation feasibility study.

Gehring has two daughters, Sandra and Laura, who are currently enrolled in the School of Architecture.

Gehring is a LEED-accredited professional and has been a member of the College of Fellows of AIA since 2007. As a member of the USC Architectural Guild, she serves as a student mentor. As part of her duties, Gehring reviews portfolios, resumes and projects of USC architecture students and students of Woodbury University in Burbank, Calif.

She has also represented the School of Architecture on the USC Alumni Association Board of Governors and has been a regent of the California Architectural Foundation.

AIA/LA was created as a nonprofit to further the efforts of its parent organization by serving the interests of the local architecture and design community. According to its mission statement, AIA/LA aims to make the Los Angeles region “more delightful, healthier, more sustainable and economically competitive.”

AIA/LA has 3,200 members and is consistently ranked as one of the top five AIA chapters in the nation. AIA/LA also sponsors annual design awards and does outreach, education, networking and advocacy.

Follow Alexandria on Twitter @alimar18